50% and 5% are thresholds for the Meaningful Use Stage 2 (2014 Edition) View, Download & Transmit requirement (VDT) – one of the toughest Stage 2 requirements for both vendors & providers.
Post-encounter, a minimum of 50% of patients must have on-line access to key clinical data and 5% must actually view, download or transmit this data.
The vendor certification requirement is: § 170.314(e)(1) : View, Download and Transmit to 3rd Party
CCDA documents must be loaded to the patient portal and available for the patient to:
- View Human Readable format
- Download in XML format
- Transmit via Direct Protocol
The Required Code sets for CCDA:
Smoking Status, Procedures, Problems and Care plan - SNOMED-CT
Medications and Medication Allergies - RxNorm
Laboratory Tests and Values/Results – LOINC
A certified EHR must provide patients (and their authorized representatives) with online VDT. Specifically, this requires:
- Support for Direct Protocol, including HISP (Health Information Services Provider)
- Online Patient Portal with “authorized representative” capabilities
- Portal must meet WCAG (Web Content Accessibility Guidelines)